Friday, September 23, 2011

Bucket Latrines

In an effort to promote composting latrines and for my own sanitation needs, I use something called a bucket latrine.  That's right - I take a sh!t in a bucket, and then compost it.





It's a very basic system actually.  I take a sh!t in a bucket and then I throw rice hulls on top of it to start the composting process and to remove the odor.  In fact, a variety of dry materials would work in order to compost human excreta; chopped grass or saw-dust do the trick just fine.   The miracle of composting lies in the fact that when human excreta is combined with these dry materials, the combination will kill the harmful pathogens that live in your poop.  Time, a critical mass, and a critical ratio of Carbon to Nitrogen in the mix (roughly 30:1) awakens thermophilic bacteria that heat up the pile and kill pathogens.  Once these pathogens are destroyed, the compost is ready to be used in the farm or the garden.

Every time the bucket is full, I go outside and dump it into my compost bin.  I asked community members to come and help me with a project one day, but didn't tell them it was the compost bin.  After we built the bin, I showed them what I intended to do with it by dumping my bucket in front of them.  To their surprise, disgust, and awe, they themselves saw that composting human excreta in fact doesn't smell.




By the end of my service, the bin should be full.  I have hopes that the next Peace Corps Volunteer that comes to my site will show the community how to utilize the compost.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your stories Moiz. Now I do I hope that this compost pile is more successful than the one on your mom's deck!

    ReplyDelete