Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sinai Composting Latrines


A former Peace Corps Volunteer has boldy returned to the Darién to work as a missionary with a church in Yaviza.  He is passionate about EH work and has the funds to execute some projects.  Alan approached me about building some composting latrines throughout the Comarca Emberá-Wounaan.  Similar to what I want to do, he is promoting starting with pilot latrines.

He asked me to go to the community of Sinai, a Wounaan community, which is about 3.5 hours up river from Alto Playón.  I had been to Sinai with IOM and given talks about composting latrines, and I told Alan I would be happy to go.  He mentioned that he also had the funds to pay a ‘tecnico,’ someone to lead the build.  I mentioned that my Health Committee President Atilio is a great construction worker, and passionate about composting latrines.  Alan and I both saw the value of someone from the Comarca going to a neighboring community and leading the build.  Atilio was hired for $20/day.

As we were waiting for transport at the port, Atilio was chatting with some people who were asking him where he was going.  He told them he was going to Sinai to build composting latrines, and they were intrigued.  Within a second Atilio starts explaining to fellow Emberá folks in his language, what composting latrines are, how to maintain them, and why they are important to one’s health and lifestyle.  It was great because he started speaking with 2 people, and as he got more passionate and showing them pictures, he suddenly had 10 people crowded around him.  I had to sit back and revel in the moment, and even pat myself on the back.

The build went great.  The community members were motivated to work.  I do believe more capacity building is needed however.  Some of the beneficiaries weren’t sure how to use the latrines.  Atilio was able to explain to them how to maintain the latrine, and the composting process.

Wounaan culture is very similar to Emberá culture, however the language is very different.  One thing you can be sure to find in the Comarca Emberá-Wounaan however, is fun loving humble people.  We were fed delicious food and shared many laughs.  The community sits on sandy soil which is perfect for growing avacado and we had our fair share.  Not to mention that further in the Comarca, the jungle gets prettier and the river water becomes crystal clear.  

On the way down river, I saw the most howler monkeys I had ever seen.






1 comment:

  1. It’s never too early to think about the Third Goal. Check out Peace Corps Experience: Write & Publish Your Memoir. Oh! If you want a good laugh about what PC service was like in a Spanish-speaking country back in the 1970’s, read South of the Frontera: A Peace Corps Memoir.

    ReplyDelete