Sunday, January 6, 2013

Alto Playon's Future PCV



July – August 2012

Being a first-time Volunteer not only in my site, but 1 of 2 in the entire Comarca Emberá-Wounaan, Cemaco, I knew that a Follow-Up Volunteer was going to be necessary for my site after 8 months of being there.  In fact, knowing that I would need a follow up gave me the latitude to work with PAN.  I didn’t feel the need to rush things, and knew that I could build the fundamentals that the next Volunteer could pick up on.

I’d like to introduce Amber Naylor.  She is a Group 71 Volunteer who is assigned to Alto Playón from July 2012-2014.  Amber is from Nebraska, a theater major, and is a total corn-husker fan.

I’m excited for Amber’s service in my site.  Why?  Because she’s a girl.  The women in the community saw how I cultivated a relationship with the men, hanging out with them, going hunting and fishing.  To my credit, the women also wanted a friend they could be close with, and requested Peace Corps for a female Volunteer.

Amber is going to be able to open up to the women in my community in a way that I never could.  Water and sanitation practice begins with women, and I know that Amber will be able to connect with them.  Building solid relationships with the women will allow Amber to talk about the touchy subjects like – “So, where do you poop?”

Furthermore, I know that I have laid a solid foundation in my community for a composting latrine project.  Amber is going to be able to pick up on that.  I have also been working with the women on starting a women’s artisan group.  Amber started working with them right away.  She took 7 women to Lajas Blancas for an artisan seminar, and upon returning they were fundraising for the group.  I’m also excited for Amber and other Group 71 Volunteers because there are more of them in the Comarca Emberá Wounaan Cemaco and Sambu.  This is a huge resource, and one that I never had.  Comarcas are small places, and nothing is better than sharing best practices.  The success of Peace Corps in the Comarca Ngabe-Bugle can be attributed to the collaborative nature of Volunteers there. 

I want to officially welcome Amber to the community.  I wish her a wonderful service and would love to help her in any way that I can.  

No comments:

Post a Comment