Sunday, January 6, 2013

Despedida!


October 2012

I was stoked to throw a party for the community as a celebration of our 2 years together.


The Maestra was a great help to me in planning it, and told me everything I needed to buy to make arroz con pollo for the entire village.  I bought the requisite 30 lbs of chicken necessary and helped the women prepare it the night before.

The plan was to eat food, play games with the kids, and then have a raffle for all the stuff I wanted to give away.  When I went to the tienda to buy the eggs for the salad, at the last minute the guys said they wanted to play palo encebado.  This game requires three tall trees that have a bag of goodies at the top.   I told them if we go get the palos, I’d pay for all the goodies.  Next thing I know, we are in the jungle with the chainsaw cutting down the palos.

I wanted the kids to eat first.  They all got arroz con pollo, potato salad, a balloon, candy and a piece of cake.  Then the rest of the village came to get their portion.  Next, came the races:  running, sack race, lime & spoon, and wheelbarrow.  Each winner got a little bottle of paint.  Everyone then rushed to the palos – one for the boys, girls, and adults.  Climbing on each others backs, falling, getting muddy, getting my head stepped on, we got all three prizes down.  I was having the time of my life.  Finally came the raffle.  I gave 2 tickets to the women who helped me cook as a way of saying thanks. 




The party was great.  I could tell everyone had a great time, and wanted to participate knowing that it was my going away party.  I’m super thankful to everyone who showed up and participated.  I also love the kids – they are so easy to please and have so much fun in the simplest ways. 





After the despedida, I went back to my house and cleaned up the rest of my stuff to leave it clean for Amber.  I then went to Misa’s house and gave away some of my stuff to his family.  I told them that I am so thankful for the friendship we have created, and that I hope I have enriched their lives as much as they have mine.  He got to talking and said, “Moises, this is like a story.  You started it, we are all part of it…and it continues.”  He wasn’t talking about projects, but about our friendship.



I sat back on my hammock for the last time in my house, listened to the sound of the jungle for the last time and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment