Sunday, January 6, 2013

Composting Latrine Program


August 2012

When I finally let myself step into the realm of getting outside support for the project, I recognized more creative freedom with the project.  I realized that since we are now funding the project, I can build the project with even more chance for success.  I introduced some more rules:

·      Families who chose to participate in the Program must follow all the rules made before.
·      Families who have complied with the rules are then on a waiting list for a latrine
·      Only materials for 5 latrines can be purchased at a time.
·      A Pre-Construction Assessment must be completed by the families to show that they have their materials contribution ready before we buy materials for them.  The Assessment must be signed by the family, a community leader, and the PCV at the time.  The PCV must be able to take a photo of all the materials ready in order to “prove” that the family is ready.
·      Once all 5 families have completed their Pre-Construction Assessments, materials are purchased.  The 5 families will then help each other carry materials and build their latrines.
·      A Post-Construction Assessment must be completed as a way of monitoring and evaluating the latrine use.  The PCV must be able to take a photo of the built latrine.
·      Once the 5 latrines are built, the next 5 families on the waiting list are called up.

I am extremely happy with the way this is being designed.  The rules ensure that families who want a latrine are willing to make a commitment to the project, and will value the latrine once it comes.  The project only progresses as each group of families progress.  This will create a small, but perceptible sense of social urgency.  Families will feel the need to finish their latrines so the project can progress.  Since all families are being evaluated in the same way, they will want to receive good results.  When you see your neighbor with that fancy new latrine, you will want to join the Program as well.  Finally and most importantly, families are earning these latrines through their commitment and participation. 

I spoke with my APCD about allowing Amber to apply for the SPA Funds using my exact same proposal, just with her name on it.  This means that as soon as Amber was done with her first 3 months of service, she would have the funds ready to build.  Thankfully my APCD was, quote, “above board” with Amber moving forward with the proposal. 

Recognize that this Program completely relies on funding brought in from Peace Corps.  That is okay.  If we can execute this well, perhaps PAN will want to work with us in the future.  But we have to start, and I won’t let my community wait on the chance that PAN will every come through. 

I plan to help Amber and the future PCVs that work in Alto PlayĆ³n to solicit the next rounds of latrines.  I am personally invested in seeing this program become a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment