Sunday, January 6, 2013

The POOPet Show


July 2012

I have had the storyboard for a puppet show to teach kids about environmental health and sanitation, along with materials to make puppets sitting under my bed for a long time now.  The show acts out the disease vectors associated with

My close friend Kayla came to visit my site and we were planning on doing some HIV/AIDS and sexual education charlas in the school.  Kayla, Amber, and I were in my hut when Kayla said, “Hey Moiz, whatever happened to your puppet show idea?”  And then Amber chimed in and said – “Puppet show?!  I’m a theater major!”  The stars aligned and we got to work and making puppets.

We had the following characters:

·      Poop (me)
·      Boy (me)
·      Girl (Kalya)
·      Girl carrying water (Amber)
·      Señorita Salud (Amber)
·      Mosquitos (maestros)

The story started off by me eating some food and then going in to the jungle and pooping in the open.  I then come out as the poop character (to the delight of all the kids) and call the mosquitoes to come touch me.  The mosquitoes come touch me and then fly around the room touching the kids and taping little poop pieces on them.  They also touch a plate of food on their way out.

The next story line was Kayla washing my dirty underwear in the river (more delight for the kids).  She suddenly has to poop and makes a raucous doing so.  I, as poop, appear again and start swimming in the river.  Amber comes and scoops the poopy water in the bucket and takes it home.

I appear again as the boy and start to eat the poop-infected food and drink the poop infected water.  I rush off and get diarreah.  Kayla then asks, “Why is my friend Moises so sick?  What happened?”  And out comes….Señorita Salud!  Señorita Salud explains that Moises get sick because of the mosquitoes that infected his food, and drank infected water.

She then gives three solutions:

·      Use a composting latrine!  And explains how to use it.  The mosquitoes come and try to attack the poop, but the poop dies in the latrine and they go away.
·      Chlorinate your water!  30 drops per 5 gallon bucket!
·      WASH YOUR HANDS WITH SOAP BEFORE EATING & PREPPING FOOD, AND AFTER GOING TO THE BATHROOM.
f
The POOPett Show was great and easily a highlight of my service.  I also know that it increased the respect the maestros had for me with wanting to educate the kids in a creative way.  Thanks to Kayla and Amber for making it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment